Thursday, May 2, 2013

It's Rhubarb Season!

 

     Tasting my Mom's delicious strawberry-rhubarb pie yesterday awoke me to the beautiful fact that the rhubarb was ready!  Yay!  Today, after picking some stalks of rhubarb, I made rhubarb custard and rhubarb chutney.  The custard did not meet my expectations (I am always trying to recreate the rhubarb custard I had in Piccadilly Circus, London while a teenager on an European tour with my Aunt Debby and my brother.  There they called it "souille" but I have no idea how it is actually spelled just like I have no idea how to make it but I do know it was phenomenal!).  The rhubarb chutney (the recipe is from Eating Well Magazine) was deliciously exactly what I expected since I'd made the recipe last year, but instead of serving it hot with sauteed chicken, I served it with pita sandwiches and then later had it with low-salt wheat thins which was also great.  I'm thinking goat cheese would be a fun addition too when eating with crackers.  I love, love, love rhubarb.   I am going to plant some rhubarb of my own this year and hopefully try freezing some for next winter--that way I can have more rhubarb! 

No comments:

Post a Comment