Monday, August 20, 2012

Ganache & Truffle Frosted Cake to Celebrate a Doctorate


A Ganache & Truffle Frosted Cake
to Celebrate a Doctoral Accomplishment


       My brother-in-law, Jim, just recently completed his PhD at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland and is now officially Dr. Watkins, PhD.  Since we are fortunate enough to have him and family close by since they just relocated from Switzerland, we had a celebratory dinner, complete with a chocolate cake. 
       I had asked Jim's 6-year-old son, Jonah, to name Jim's favorite dessert.  Jonah told me "Chocolate cake or non-cake chocolate" ("non-cake chocolate" evidently meaning chocolates) so I made a chocolate cake with cream-cheese frosting, topped with drizzles of Ganache and pipings of Truffle Frosting.  I constructed the doctoral pennant from paper and a bamboo skewer.  I did not care for the cake recipe I used, but enjoyed the Ganache and Truffle Frosting so I'm including those recipes below:

Ganache

1 c heavy whipping cream (found in the milk section of a grocery store)
1 -11.5 oz bag milk chocolate chips.

Bring the whipping cream just to a boil, then immediately remove from heat and add the chocolate chips into the pan.  DO NOT STIR.  Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir until combined and smooth.  Cool for 15 minutes and then drizzle or coat cake. 

Truffle Frosting

Make above but after cooling for 15 minutes, refrigerate overnight, then whip in mixer for 20 seconds, then pipe onto cake. 


2 comments:

  1. Can ganache cakes be sent in the mail? I think I need one of those. Your pictures are beautiful. I especially enjoyed all the fair photos. It makes me laugh to think of you all going on the carpet slide over and over. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you come to visit, I can make some ganache--but you were not missing anything on the cake itself--too dry, lol so maybe you'll get a better one! Yes, I cannot believe how many times we went down the fair slide ride! I was at the point where I had gone up the slide so many times that I was carrying the burlap carpets up for other small children in addition to ours and was lifting other kids onto their carpets. Basically, I was such a fixture of the ride that the actual carnival workers were able to go on vacation, ha ha! BTW, thanks so much for your awesome letters last week! A blog just does not compare to the handwritten letter!

      Delete