Monday, November 26, 2012

Preparing for a Madeline-themed Birthday Party

Oui! Oui! Our Liliana is Three! Preparing the Madeline Party:
 
 
       In preparation for Liliana's third birthday, I immersed myself in all things Madeline, her chosen theme.  We had lots of the Ludwig Bemelmans' books, plus puzzles and games. 
 
 
       I prepared Madeline birthday banners by making color photocopies of Madeline, pasting them onto blue and red card stock, punching a hole in the top corners of each picture, and attaching them with blue grosgrain ribbon. 


 
 
       A Madeline cake was made by using an extra-large round cake pan for a head and making an additional square cake which I cut up for Madeline's signature hat, hat streamers, and her red hair.  I iced the cake in buttercream colored with paste food colorings.  The cake was sitting on a foil-wrapped, upside-down cookie tray which I hid by adding tear-drop shaped scrapbook paper.
 


 
 
 
       Madeline cookies were made by purchasing a mini hat cookie cutter from amazon.com, then making a batch of Italian butter cookies which I glazed with yellow icing (powdered sugar with a little bit of water and yellow food coloring) while they were still hot, then piped a black bow using a small round nib on the icing bag when they cooled.

 
 
       Birthday tree decor were Madeline paper dolls from amazon.com (which I cut out and poked a pin through for the ornament hook).  I also hung lots of mini yellow Madeline hats which I made by purchasing small straw hats, spray-painting them yellow, then sewing on thin black ribbon which was tied in a bow.
 



 
       Madeline party items were purchased from birthdaypartyexpress.com and included costumes, invitations, thank yous, paper plates, cups, balloons, Eiffel Towers centerpieces, placemats, favor boxes, stickers, a yellow hat pinata, and more.  I also decorated using my own 8 inch Madeline dolls from childhood.
 


 


3 comments:

  1. I love the banner with the ribbon ties. It all looks so fun, I wish we could have been there to share the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish so too, but before we know it, you'll be back in town to celebrate Christmas and that will be such fun!

      Delete
  2. Lovely birthday preparations have made it more special. I am looking for one of the best Venues in San Francisco for my best friend's birthday next month. Have bought a fabulous handbag and bracelet for her. Want to make her day special with flawless decorations and arrangements.

    ReplyDelete