Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crayon Resist Watercolor Birthday Banner

A Birthday Banner for Aunt Em


     Preparing for my sister's 30th birthday, Liliana and I decided to make a little birthday banner. I adored making crayon resist art when I was little, so I figured Liliana might, too. She did! I took a white crayon and drew the letters in "Happy Birthday Emily" (one letter per paper triangle) and then added little patterns and pictures such as happy faces, balloons, and a smiley cupcake. Since I was drawing with a white crayon on white paper, it looked to Liliana as if the paper was blank.

     Next, Liliana watercolored onto the pennant shaped paper, and giggled in glee as she discovered white letters and drawings appear as if by magic. Since the crayon is made of wax, the crayoned part of the paper resists the water-based paint so the white crayon shows through the paint.
     
              After the paint dried, I stapled the paper together and we had a little homemade art project to celebrate my sister.  And all we needed was a white crayon, some paper and some watercolor paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment