Monday, December 24, 2012

The Gold & Red Sacred Tree


The Golden Christmas Tree
 
Fontanini creche and the Golden Sacred Tree



 
      Nestled in the corner of our living room, stands our almost-gaudy, antique-gold tinsely Christmas tree.  First I added golden vintage bulbs to it and a few gold-leafed ornaments that tended to be sacred: wise men, angels, stars.  Having unearthed my red bulbs from the to-be-unpacked pile of boxes from storage (they are from previous years when I had an all-crimson Christmas tree in my bedroom), I added those for a slight zip of color.  I did add a few non-all-gold ornaments such as my large tin wise men and some of the White House ornaments, but they are mostly golden.  Since it was a tree decked in sacred images, I placed the Fontanini manger scene underneath.  Liliana and Vera Rose are allowed to play with any of the shepherds and sheep but the rest is off limits or the creche would be pure chaos all the time!
 
       Our fireplace is right next to the golden tree so I extended the golden theme by placing golden fruit (purchased in a Paris department store), a golden-filigreed Limoges bowl, gold-leafed frames that hold the original print from some of our previous Christmas cards, and a favorite gold and porcelain Mary with Christ Child ornament amongst the fir on the mantle.

No comments:

Post a Comment