Thursday, August 2, 2012

Making Chalkboard Labels



Organizing Our Baskets by Making Chalkboard Labels

       We have a family area downstairs that is mostly devoted to puzzles, games, books, art, and all sorts of family activities. Liliana has recently developed a passion for puzzles and games, so she spends lots of time sitting at the table playing Haba Fairytale Bingo, Eeboo Fairytale Matching, and piecing together bunches of Djeco puzzles. If you have visited recently, I'm sure you already know this!

        The shelving in this area houses mainly the above-mentioned puzzles, games, Holztiger wooden figures, and our collection of Children's Fiction. Above the shelves, I have a row of 12 lined magazine baskets inside which I keep everything from beautifully illustrated songbooks to baby books that are in progress to baby doll clothing. Due to our recent move, I am continually sorting and reorganizing and Brian has laughed at how many times I go to take down a basket but can't remember which basket holds what contents! So, this week's project has been to label those baskets in a way that allows me to not only change the label as I change the baskets contents, but to label them in a way that is aesthetically acceptable to me since I stare in their direction for a lot of the day. 
       I used unfinished wood rectangles from a hobby store and some Chalkboard paint to create labels. Liliana and I painted 3 coats of paint on each side of the rectangular wooden pieces, then I punched a hole through the thin wood using a nail and a hammer (drilling would also have worked if I knew in what storage box it was currently packed!). After attaching twine and writing a description of the basket's contents with chalk, the project was complete! Now, I know where some of my things are located!




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the phrase "aesthetically acceptable". I'm going to start using it as often as possible: "If we buy that sofa, it'll have to be reupholstered. I don't find that paisley pattern aesthetically acceptable."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you love the phrase--and since we actually did purchase a sofa today, I do so hope that you find the pattern aesthetically acceptable!

    ReplyDelete