Friday, March 22, 2013

Easter Bunny Snack

Healthy Snack: Easter Rabbit Treat
 




       While perusing Pinterest for springtime heathy snacks,  I noticed that using a cookie cutter to create an Easter rabbit shape out of bread could be lots of fun for my girls to eat and "simple" to make.  I hoped to embellish the Easter bunny's face with carrot whiskers, raison eyes and nose, and cheese ears (using a miniature egg cookie cutter to cut out the cheese). 
       The finished product looked more like a mouse than a rabbit to me, but maybe I just stared at whole-wheat veggie rabbits for too many hours.  By the time I was done creating 25 Easter bunnies, too many hours had elapsed for me to think that they looked anything but rediculous and also they started to seem like a bit too elaborate to be worth it (although I did remind myself that I had once made my nephew Darius an entire two-foot wide pirate ship complete with a hand-carved cheese treasure chest with blueberries inside for his own one-person daycare snack so at least it wasn't as over-the-top as that!) 
       Part of what ended up making it take so long was realizing that I needed to cover each rabbit with damp papertowel so that the bread and cheese wouldn't dry out before we arrived at the party--and they still were nice and moist the next day but the stiff decorative cupcake holders did mishapen a bit from the dampness.  All in all, I think they turned out fine but if I did it again, I think I would do it for a smaller group so I didn't have to create quite so many--or at least I would buy grated carrot so there wouldn't be so much chopping.  Although, that said, I'd probably make them again next week if my girls wanted them :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment